- 2021-22 Kindergarten/ Junior Kindergarten Packet
INFORMATION ABOUT KINDERGARTEN AND JUNIOR KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION:
To be eligible for Kindergarten, students must be 5 on or before September 1, 2021.
Students turning 5 between September 2 and December 1 may enroll in either Junior Kindergarten or in Kindergarten with a signed waiver.
Students who turn 5 after December 1, 2021, are NOT eligible for Kindergarten or Junior Kindergarten for the 2021-22 school year. Students in this group may be eligible for the Great Start Readiness free preschool program coordinated by the district’s Early Childhood Center, depending on your family’s income. Children in this age group can enroll in the tuition preschool programs at the Early Childhood Center as well. Call the Early Childhood Center at 248-573-8330 or visit their page on the district website for additional information.
A Kindergarten welcome event for parents/guardians will be held in late April.
For planning and staffing purposes, it is important to the district that families register their students for kindergarten prior to the April event. Enrollment forms will be available in late January and the process can be completed remotely.
The deadline for Junior Kindergarten registration is Friday, February 19, 2021, as space in the Junior Kindergarten program is limited. After this deadline, families can request to be added to a waitlist. Only completed enrollments will be considered for the Junior Kindergarten program.
Families will need to gather the following paperwork in order to complete the enrollment process:
1. Identification – Photo I.D., such as a driver’s license, state I.D., or passport of the parent/guardian.
2. Proof of Residency – Three current proofs; one from Column I and two from Column II, in the name and address of the parent/guardian. If your statements/bills are received online, the most recent statement/bill must be printed and a copy provided.
one (1) required
Property Tax Statement - (most recent)
Closing Papers—Accepted only if you’ve moved into your house within the past 30 days. Signed by all parties with the closing date indicated.
Lease – Apartment/Home Rental—All tenants' and occupants' names, including lease beginning/ending dates, must be on the lease. The lease must be signed by both landlord and tenant.
two (2) required
Utility Bill – Gas, electric, phone, etc.
Vehicle insurance document
Homeowners/renters insurance document
Cable TV Bill
Credit Card Statement
Medical bill or health insurance statement
3. Certificate of Birth - A parent/guardian who seeks to enroll a child in the School District shall provide a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate.
If a birth certificate is not available, the parent/guardian must complete the birth certificate affidavit form and submit the documentary evidence called for therein. If such verification is not received within thirty (30) days of enrollment or the document appears to be inaccurate or suspicious, the principal shall notify the local law enforcement agency that the student may be a missing child. (Michigan Missing Children’s Act, MCL380.1135.)
4. Immunization Records - In order for a child to attend school, the Michigan Public Health code requires a parent/guardian to provide one of the following:
A valid, current immunization record
A medical doctor’s (MD/DO) signed the State of Michigan Medical Contraindication Form
A current, certified State of Michigan Nonmedical Immunization Waiver Form issued by the local health department. For more information, go to www.oakgov.com/health or contact Nurse on Call (NOC) at 1-800-848-5533.
A valid, signed FERPA consent form should also be provided (in the enrollment packet).
Up-to-date immunization records are required by law for all students. Any student whose parent/guardian fails to submit the required immunization information shall not be admitted into the school.
5. Vision Screening (kindergarten/junior kindergarten only) - Proof of a vision screening is required before the start of kindergarten/junior kindergarten.
6. Guardianship (If applicable) -If someone other than the parent is enrolling the student, legal guardianship documentation, obtained from the Probate Court, is required at the time of enrollment.
-If custody has been established by the courts, a copy of the court order must be submitted.
-Step-parents must provide a copy of the marriage certificate.