South Lyon High School
1000 N. LafayetteSouth Lyon, MI 48178
Main Office - 248-573-8150
Student Services - 248-573-8160
Attendance - 248-573-8145
Fax - 248-437-0233
South Lyon High School will motivate, educate and support students by providing
a variety of learning opportunities designed to prepare them for lifelong challenges.
SLHS News and Information
2016 Commencement Portraits
9th Grade Scheduling for the 2016-17 School Year
- Counseling and Student Services Choose this link to see who your counselor is, check out a college or university, and to see what course requirements are.
SLHS School Improvement Goals
South Lyon High School established the following goals as part of our AdvancED process. These goals weredeveloped by surveying teachers, as well as by reviewing both MEAP and classroom assessment data. The three goals that we will focus on during this process are:
- All students will be proficient in reading comprehension when engaged in both narrative and expository text.
- All students will be proficient in mathematics reasoning and fluency.
- All students will be proficient in writing.
Who We Are…
South Lyon High School is a comprehensive secondary school that is home to nearly 1,250 students in grades nine through twelve.
Facilities include a large media center/library, a guidance resource center, eight computer labs, technology in all classrooms, auditorium, lecture hall, career center, two triple gymnasia, pool and mirrored dance studio. WSLH broadcasts daily from our in-house television studio. Numerous athletic fields and the football stadium (aka “The Jungle”) all support our student athletes.
SLHS is a community resource, as well, housing the Center for Active Adults. Community groups make use of our facilities year-round for meetings and major events.
Where We Are…
Located in the southwestern corner of Oakland County, Michigan, South Lyon has seen two decades of explosive population growth as commuters employed in the Detroit suburbs and nearby Ann Arbor seek affordable housing paired with excellent schools. The area is convenient to expressways and benefits from the advantages offered by several nearby colleges and world class universities.
The South Lyon Community School District covers 83 square miles, including South Lyon and several smaller towns spread across three counties. The school district consists of two high schools, two middle schools, and seven elementary schools.
What We Do…
Our curriculum is aligned with the Michigan Merit Curriculum and Michigan Career Pathways. Our course offerings include traditional college preparatory courses, dual enrollment opportunities, independent study and award-winning programs in the fine, performing & technical arts.
We offer two Honors English courses and 12 Advanced Placement Courses in English, Calculus AB, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, American History, European History, Physics, and American Government.
Our technology department prepares students for certification testing by Microsoft, Cisco and CompTIA. We also offer OTC (Oakland Technical Center) which offers 14 different technology programs located in nearby Wixom. Students from SHLS are enrolled at the Southwest Campus. Juniors and Seniors spend half of each school day there studying in a specific program of their choice. Click on link to see all the programs they offer. OTC
All students take the state-mandated Michigan Merit Examination (ACT, WorkKeys, & Subject Area Tests) in March of their junior year and compare favorably to their peers in neighboring districts.
The Graduating Class of 2015 averaged: - ACT Composite Score 22.6
Our teachers use a variety of methods to facilitate learning, including differentiated instruction. Progress is evaluated using “authentic assessment” which allows students to demonstrate what they have learned. Our GPAs are based on a 4.00 scale and are not weighted.
We are accredited by the AdvancED standards – a distinction we have maintained since 1972 which allows for a continuing process of self-improvement and evaluation.
Assistant Principal - Jim Brennan
Assistant Principal - Mitch Rosekrans
Principal's Secretary - Michele Darket
Data Processor - Angie Roush
Data Processor - Sheri Dunatchik
Student Services - Carolyn Krueger
Athletic Director - Mike Teagan
Attendance Secretary - Toni Markin
Counselor - Bethany Wallace
Counselor - Lisa Godo
Counselor - Sarah Hester
News and Information
- Curriculum Guide. Learn about our high school graduation requirements; read a description of all high school courses offered including our AP classes.
- Graduation Requirements. Transforming your goals into reality requires more than luck. Twenty-three credits are required for graduation.
- Testing Out. For second semester of the 2015-16 school year. Public Act 335, Section 21B of the state code requires that any high school student be offered the opportunity to test out of any course offered by his/her high school. This form is also available in Student Services.
- Counseling and Student Services. Choose this link to see who your counselor is, learn about course requirements, check out a college or university, and obtain information on financial aid resources and available scholarships.
- Library/Media Center. The SLHS Media Center has a wide range of electronic, print, audio and visual resources.
- Athletics. Do you want to know when the next game or sport activity is? Check out this link to see the schedule for all SLCS sports.
- Clubs and Organizations. Some of the clubs and organizations offered at SLHS include forensics, jazz ensemble, pit orchestra, Color Guard, and Science Olympiad. Click on this link for more information.
- Lifetouch. School picture information for the 2015-16 school year.
- SIP Minutes. The Shared Involvement Team (SIP) helps to improve and enhance student performance.
Transportation. Do you need to find a bus schedule? Are you interested in reading Transportation's Student Code of Conduct? Would you like to learn additional information about SLCS Transportation Department?