"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
In support of the district’s mission to provide the highest quality educational process so that all students can excel as individuals and become productive and contributing members of society, CITA Services supports the buildings in providing instruction on Habits of Mind.
Habits of Mind are dispositions we foster in our students to help them be successful as both students and as adults. These habits define who we want our students to become as a result of their time with South Lyon Community Schools.
Our Habits of Mind initiative is based on the research of Arthur Costa and Bena Kallick and includes the following:
- Managing impulsivity
- Listening with understanding and empathy
- Thinking flexibly
- Thinking about your thinking (Metacognition)
- Striving for accuracy
- Questioning and problem posing
- Applying past knowledge to new situations
- thinking and communicating with clarity and precision
- Gather data through all senses
- Creating, imagining, and innovating
- Responding with wonderment and awe
- Taking responsible risks
- Finding humor
- Thinking interdependently
- Remaining open to continuous learning
For more information about the Habits of Mind, contact your student’s school.